Like many workplaces in the public and private sector in Trinidad and Tobago, NGOs and civil society organisations are facing funding challenges and/or decreased operational budgets that make it difficult to appropriately staff their organisations.
Securing staff through the On-the-Job Training (OJT) Programme may be one option to staff and fund entry level positions at your organisation.
“The On-the-Job Training (OJT) programme provides opportunities for nationals between the ages of 16-35, to gain practical experience and work-based training within companies in Trinidad and Tobago. The programme envisions the certification of all trainees under the National Occupational Standards through the Trinidad and Tobago Vocational Qualifications/Caribbean Vocational Qualification Framework. This new national accreditation system for vocational education allows certified persons to pursue further education and training. OJT is made available through the Ministry of Tertiary Education and Skills Training.”
Effective August 2015, Cabinet approved the allowance of the recruitment of OJT Trainees by Non-Governmental Organisations, Civil Society Organisations, Faith-based, Environmental-based and Humanitarian-based bodies to help ease the burdens of staff remuneration. This change will allow these organisations to be remunerated by Government for any monies spent on these personnel.
Many local nonprofit organisations have employed OJT Programme Trainees including The Network of NGOs for the Advancement of Women; Laventille Foundation; Rape Crisis Society of Trinidad and Tobago; St. Judes Home for Girls; and the Emancipation Support Committee.
Although there are specific requirements regarding the type of work for OJT Trainees, the Programme does try to match your organisation with Trainees who are interested in your organisation’s field and/or type of work.
OJT Programme Registration for Organisations:
- Register your organisation with the OJT Programme by visiting the website to download and complete the Business Registration Form at http://ojtonline.org/ojtforms.aspx?doc=employer.
- Attach a job description for the position your organisation wishes to fill. Include any special requirements that you need the trainee/s to have (i.e., number of passes, special skills, as well as the number of trainee(s) required and length of time you need the trainee(s).
- Any period shorter than six months must be approved by the OJT office; trainees may be hired for up to a period of two (2) years. (Note: If your organisation has a specific individual carded for the position they must not be related to anyone in the organisation.)
- Provide a copy of your Certificate of Incorporation
- Statement of the establishment your NGO/CSO or Relative Body
- Provide a copy of your National Insurance Registration Certificate
- Provide a copy of your Board of Inland Revenue Certificate
These documents can be sent via courier to the OJT office (Corner of Chaguanas Main Road and Connector Road, Chaguanas, Trinidad) or faxed to 665-8651.