BACKGROUND: The Global Environment Facility (GEF) Small Grants Programme (SGP) GEF Small Grants Programme provides civil society organisations with technical and financial support in the form of grant funding, to projects focused on environmental conservation and restoration, while enhancing people’s livelihoods and well‐being.
These environment-centered ‘small grant projects’ embody the very essence of sustainable development by “thinking globally acting locally.” The grant funding is now in its Operational Phase 6 (OP6), the objective of which is, “to support the creation of global environmental benefits and the safeguarding of the global environment through community and local solutions that complement and add value to national and global level action.”
Civil society organisations can apply for grants in the following areas:
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Climate-Smart Agriculture
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Social Inclusion
- CSO Dialogue Platforms
- Knowledge Management
BUDGET & TYPES OF GRANTS
- Planning Grant: is a tool to assist with the development of project ideas and proposals for project grants. The total amount available is US$5,000. These grants are used to help civil society organisations to 1) write better proposals by assessing problems more carefully and 2) ensure a participatory approach is used in project development and design.
- Full Project Grant: is used to identify environmental problems and implement activities that will be used to address them. The total amount available is US$50,000.00.
ELIGIBLE ORGANISATIONS: Any civil society organisation registered as a non‐profit organisation under the 1995 Companies Act or has a letter of registration from a Government Ministry such as the Ministry of Community Development or Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs.
DEADLINE: Applicants should complete a ‘Project Concept Template’ and submit it no later than 14th MARCH 2016.
For more information contact the GEF SGP National Coordinator or Programme Assistant at: 623-7056 Ext 254. Further information about the GEF SGP can be accessed at: