Informal recognition is what occurs in the daily interchange between volunteers and the organisation (and should start from the first day your volunteer shows up). The good news is that it can be easily implemented by NGOs of all sizes and budgets.
Here are five easy ways to honour your volunteers using informal recognition:
- Send e-cards to new volunteers to welcome them to your organisation, like the free e-cards from American Greetings.
- Check in with volunteers about their volunteer “assignments” and solicit honest feedback about their experience with the organization.
- Send at least one written thank-you note to your longer-term volunteers over the course of their service.
- Mark and celebrate volunteers’ anniversaries and key milestones with your organisation.
- Say thank you to volunteers for a job well done.